Monday, March 7, 2011

Will and Be Going To

Do you want to share?

Do you like this article?

Will and Be Going to are both used to talk about future activities.

1. Will 
  • Will is used to talk about activities that haven't been planned or arranged to do. 
  • Will is used to talk about prediction activity in the future.
      Forms:

     Subject + Will + base form of verb + adverb of time (tomorrow, next week, etc)

    It usually uses some expression, such as I think, I guess, I am not sure, Maybe, Probably

    Example:

    1. A: What are you going to do next week?
        B: I don't know, but  I think I will go to Bali next week.

    2. A: Where are you going tomorrow?
        B: I don't know. Maybe I will go Tokyo

    3. A: Who are you going with?
        B: I will probably go alone because my wife is busy.

    4. A: Are you going to attend the meeting tonight?
        B: I don't because I guess I will take my wife to the hospital.

    5. A: When are you going to visit your grandparents?
        B: I am not sure, but I think I will visit them next month

2. Be going to
  • Be going to is used to talk about the activity that you have planned/arranged to do.
      Forms

      Subjects + be + going to + base form of verbs + objects + adverb of time (tomorrow, next week,
      next month, etc)

      Example:

      1. Jill    : What are you going to do next weekends?
          Bob : I'm going to visit my relative's house in Jakarta

         (Bob had already planned to visit his relative's house before Jill asked him questions. He is 100% certain about visiting his relative's house next weekends)

      2. A: How long are you going to stay in their house?
          B: I have told them that I'm going to stay for one week.

      3. A: Are you going there alone?
          B: No. I'm going to visit them with my little sister.

      4. A: What are you going to do there?
          B: Well, I really miss their cookings, so I'm going to try their cookings first and then visit around the city

      5. A: What are you going to bring?
          B: I am not going to bring many things, just some t-shirts, two pairs of jeans, my cellphone and ipod.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Advertisements

Advertisements